how long to trade in demo before going live?

walpants

Trader
Feb 10, 2019
i wouldnt put a time frame on it, everyone learns and progresses at different rates, it just needs to be when you feel you are ready, if you are consistently profiting then i would go for it ion a small account

larry_009

Trader
Jul 9, 2019
There is no fixed period as such. I would say do not try live trading till the time you get a strategy in demo account, only then you will be confident enough to tackle the pressure of trading with real money. There is no point of shifting from demo to live trading with losses in your hand.

Ray316

Trader
Aug 27, 2019
the5ers.com
hi guys, Im a newbie to the world of trading

How long do you recommend I stay in demo before going live?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts on this thanks :)

As long as it takes.

If you have the ability to burn through multiple demo account - do it.
Work on finding a strategy that works for you while on a demo.
Work on controlling your emotions while on a demo.
Work on managing risk while on demo.
Study while on demo.
The more things you do while on a demo - the less risk to your actual money you take on when you decide to finally "go live".

I've been doing this for a couple of years now (granted, only part-time) and just about 6 months ago decided to go "live" with my own money, so over a year, nearly 18 months of demo accounts.

Ray316

Trader
Aug 27, 2019
the5ers.com
Agree with you to a certain extent. But emotions hardly play any role in demo. When you risk your real funds into trading, that is when emotions come into play.

Yes, but why start practicing on controlling your emotions only when you go "live" start doing that BEFORE things become real so that by the time you make the move to real money you already have a sense of how to react...

walpants

Trader
Feb 10, 2019
Agree with you to a certain extent. But emotions hardly play any role in demo. When you risk your real funds into trading, that is when emotions come into play.
this is true, but demo is essential for learning the very basics of how to place trades and learning how to use mt4, also for testing out strategies but i get that the emotions are very different when its real money.

• 👍
Reactions: Ray316

Glastonburyk

Trader
Feb 3, 2019
this is true, but demo is essential for learning the very basics of how to place trades and learning how to use mt4, also for testing out strategies but i get that the emotions are very different when its real money.
I never found the emotions to different as winning is winning and losing is losing. It was an easy transition for me and I didn’t care about the money I started with

momo3HC

Active Trader
Feb 16, 2019
Then practice to equalize the emotions. ;)

walpants

Trader
Feb 10, 2019
I never found the emotions to different as winning is winning and losing is losing. It was an easy transition for me and I didn’t care about the money I started with
that is probably the best way, just completely detach yourself from the money you put in the account, but then at the same time would that not make you make careless decisions? i guess you've got to hold on to wanting to win trades but at the same time not care about money, wow you see emotions they are so hard! :)

Petez_FX

Active Trader
Aug 13, 2019
Sometimes I think demo is a bit pointless to be honest. You've got 2 sides to trading, you've got learning to be a good trader & the physiology side/risk management. I always think you should start with a small account and stick to 0.01 lots, learning to stick to that will help you learn MM.

• 👍
Reactions: walpants

Starstaff

Trader
Nov 9, 2019
Actually, this is a matter of individual situation. It happens that a person has a great experience in trading in terms of time, but it turns out that he does not have basic knowledge. He just spends time. On the other hand, I have heard the stories of newbies, who immediately began to achieve small, but constant results. They earn well and feel confident. It seems to me that everyone has to listen to himself or herself in a way and understand how ready he or she is. You can combine trading with real money and demo, if you haven't figured out some issues yet, or you need to work out a new strategy or test a new indicator for you. From what I have heard from experienced traders, the demo should not become your main occupation. In order to really make money, it is worth starting with real money. You can try with small amounts and understand your potential. It would be useful to keep your statistics. After that, you should build a development plan for the future, at least for a couple of months. And then you will understand what to do next.

• 👍
Reactions: D.Bernfeld and momo3HC

momo3HC

Active Trader
Feb 16, 2019
Actually, this is a matter of individual situation. It happens that a person has a great experience in trading in terms of time, but it turns out that he does not have basic knowledge. He just spends time. On the other hand, I have heard the stories of newbies, who immediately began to achieve small, but constant results. They earn well and feel confident. It seems to me that everyone has to listen to himself or herself in a way and understand how ready he or she is. You can combine trading with real money and demo, if you haven't figured out some issues yet, or you need to work out a new strategy or test a new indicator for you. From what I have heard from experienced traders, the demo should not become your main occupation. In order to really make money, it is worth starting with real money. You can try with small amounts and understand your potential. It would be useful to keep your statistics. After that, you should build a development plan for the future, at least for a couple of months. And then you will understand what to do next.
Damn right. Based on all your posts i`m really curious how long do you practicing trading. ;)