How do you know if your edge is still and "edge?"

AyoFXstarter

Trader
Jun 30, 2017
I've been practicing with a demo account for about a month now with a system that I made. It seemed like my edge was fine until I switched from the usual timeframe (10min) to 15min. Now, it would seem like my edge has gone. I've lost 6 trades in a row with the same signals that I was using before, the same way. Out of 20 trades, W - 8, L - 12. Has this happened to you? Did you just stick with it? Or what

AyoFXstarter

Trader
Jun 30, 2017
I've been practicing with a demo account for about a month now with a system that I made. It seemed like my edge was fine until I switched from the usual timeframe (10min) to 15min. Now, it would seem like my edge has gone. I've lost 6 trades in a row with the same signals that I was using before, the same way. Out of 20 trades, W - 8, L - 12. Has this happened to you? Did you just stick with it? Or what

C'mon, someone has to have experienced a losing streak. Any advice?

eyeball

Master Trader
Sep 25, 2011
You've got a systemic reversal dynamic somewhere in your trading system that you re not recognizing as such. Reversals can be caused by numerous and sundry reasons. My advice: Go back and check the detail of your winning trades against the detail of your losers and check the minutiae of each. This is often a game of very fine detail. The answer is their in the price action ,but you've got to work to find it. ( and generally is much simpler and more apparent than we imagine it be ) I don't believe switching time frames has any bearing on your negative outcomes.

Last edited:
  • 👍
Reactions: AyoFXstarter

AyoFXstarter

Trader
Jun 30, 2017
Maybe reversing my position would help? So when I'd normally go bullish, go bearish? Because, I've been doing the same exact thing every time and when I enter a trade, it seems to almost immediately go the other way (out of last 15 trades, lost 13). I'll give it a try. Thanks.

eyeball

Master Trader
Sep 25, 2011
Some things you might consider before you start reversing positions (1)- Your winners may be in trending markets and your losers may be flat or neutral markets (or vice/versa ).You can't trade both using the same input ( they tend to reverse all other things being equal.)(2) Initially you said your winners were in 10 min. time frames and your losers were in 15. 15 min. TF's have a co-incident expiry ( I think you're a binary option trader) with 30 min, on the half hour and longer TF's on the hour , ect. that MAY be different from your 15 min. TF. (and therefore conflict)If you trade 15 min. TF's trade only those with unique expiry's on the quarter hour and quarter before the hour. Same goes for 10,s at their appropriate times (10 after the hour, ect. ) I hope this is of some help to you. I'll be happy to answer any further questions or respond to your comments if you wish.--EB

• 👍
Reactions: Enivid