What is the pros and cons of using high leverage?

radex78

Banned
Nov 15, 2015
I think leverage also can changed through cabinet trading, usually there also has feature to changed leverage, but I am rarely changed leverage if already use leverage

hayseed

Master Trader
Jul 27, 2010
usa
I'm trading demo and went with leverage of 1:300
b.c I dont know how to change it, so i have to continute to trade with that high leverage.
next time, i'll use lower leverage to suit my safety strategy.
//----
hey tammy.... look very close at what enivid said in regards to his 'effective' leverage.... the broker supplied leverage is often less important than our applied 'effective' leverage....

our leverage here in the states is maxed at 50:1 .... but there are just as many blown accounts here as there are in offshore accounts offering 400:1....

the safest strategy in forex, at least for me, seems to be limiting myself to less than 5:1 'effective' leverage.... sure, i will make pennies compared to the dollars someone else might make..... but that's ok..... grains of sand add up.....h

//----
double math(double percent,int pds,double balance)
{
double sum = balance;
for(int i=0;i<pds;i++)
{
sum = sum+(sum*percent);
}
return(sum);
}

radex78

Banned
Nov 15, 2015
I see some broker already offer high leverage now, might for trader that having small capital using high leverage still can trading, but without good skill hence will not always they can making good profit with high leverage.

radex78

Banned
Nov 15, 2015
There is no ideal leverage, but as a newbie I can recommend you to get higher leverage on a small trading account.
Might still in consideration of risk if use small capital then choose high leverage, if occured loss and mc it's only small money, but eventually each trader will have own responisibility with their option

somenews

Trader
Apr 6, 2016
There is no ideal leverage, but as a newbie I can recommend you to get higher leverage on a small trading account.
yes. I think it's good ideal. after trading demo, I opened an account with the deposit only 200$ and use leverage of 1: 300
it's good way to check the real execution of the brokers as well as not losing so much money

radex78

Banned
Nov 15, 2015
or you might go with small account and higher leverage. it's a good way to start trading too/
I like with use high leverage and small capital, and still treat forex as part time business only, as my experience forex still remain risky and about profit and loss is common thing in trading, loss is certainty but profit is possibility

buldy

Trader
Nov 15, 2016
high leverage has the potential to enlarge your profits or losses by the same magnitude. The greater the amount of leverage on capital you apply, the higher the risk that you will assume. we should also know that this risk is not necessarily related to margin-based leverage although it can influence it if a trader is not careful.

Twin butterfly

Active Trader
Apr 11, 2016
Taking leverage depends on our trading style too. Many expert traders knew it very well that how to handle leverage with risk and money for getting right trade execution.

buldy

Trader
Nov 15, 2016
Hey Twin, I agree with you, but you still have to be very careful with this as your decisions can affect you on the long run in either way!

Twin butterfly

Active Trader
Apr 11, 2016
Taking risk is always going to be trader's personal choice. Either we take risk or not, we never going to be 100% sure of future movement in market.

buldy

Trader
Nov 15, 2016
Exactly the point Twin, there is nothing we do in this life that doesn't involve risk taking. Even life itself like many say is a risk!

daniele roos

Oct 3, 2016
Everything has its own pros and cons. So does trading on leverage! Basically leverage gives you an opportunity to boost your trade returns. However, it can also bring fatal losses in case of a wrong trade. Leverage is believed to be a double edged sword in the market. Many believe that leverage can put a trader under higher risk as the magnitude of potential losses increases on account of leverage. Traders with the high leverage get a bigger shot at making the most out of the good trade call. But during the bad trade phase, leverage works against us and eats up significant part of margin.

buldy

Trader
Nov 15, 2016
Daniele, I think this where just zeroing your mind comes in. While you should be cautious, we can also take the risk sometimes. I believe this is the same reason we have all the indicators, the strategies, the managements, the books, forums and the net to help us determine the market before we trade!

Twin butterfly

Active Trader
Apr 11, 2016
Right, Daniele. Leverage is choice of trader. If he can handle than he can take any number of leverage according to his trading work.

Ary Barroso

Active Trader
Jul 9, 2017
hello. Can you guys give me your opinion about the ideal leverage?
which leverage do you often use? what is the pros and cons of using high leverage?
since i'm going to use small account with high leverage!

Frankly, small trading account with high leverage means; maximum risk. Besides, don’t expect to make any unrealistic profit here; be logical & calculative.

Ann

Active Trader
Mar 4, 2018
If your trades often bring profit, then take a bigger leverage. Let's say you win two out of three trades, while a series of losses are extremely rare. In this case, you can risk half of the Deposit in one transaction. In other cases, it makes no sense to risk less than 20% of the Deposit. Too small a lot will not allow you to make a normal profit.