Do you have unrealistic profit expectations?

Rambo35

Confirmed PaxForex Representative
Apr 22, 2013
Canada
A lot of new forex traders have unrealistic expectations when they start trading forex. The goal for every trader in the first year of trading should be not to lose money, which is not case with the new traders. They think they can make 20-30% profits per month which is the percentage of profits what professional traders are making per year.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
LOL and one wonders why the number of new traders that keep entering the market is shooting up exponentially. Yup, if there was a competition for unrealistic expectations, the new currency traders would win it hands down and that's with a bush, clinton and an obama in the mix..

nekojfx

Trader
Apr 15, 2014
A lot of new forex traders have unrealistic expectations when they start trading forex. The goal for every trader in the first year of trading should be not to lose money, which is not case with the new traders. They think they can make 20-30% profits per month which is the percentage of profits what professional traders are making per year.

I totally agree and I would be more than happy if in the beginning of my trading I manage to obtain a balance of a "positive zero" :-D But it is true that new forex traders think they'll make money immediately and I think there are two reasons for this: 1. brokers- a lot of them "promise" sky-high profits and are advertising themselves in that direction, and 2. man's nature- I mean let's face it everyone would get excited and would rush to make MORE if he was promised easy money... So it's very important not to fall for this easy-money trick and to stay focused on your goal and do things gradually :D

inggo

Banned
Jan 13, 2012
Philippinese
when we say unrealistic, its something like my first 150-200 deposit would be 2000-3000 a month, well yeah that was my mentality when i started trading a couple of years back I think i was already with hotforex then! and oh boy did i learn the hard way :) but now I learned to appreciate a breakeven trade and be grateful that no loses were made! Im quiet happy with any positive outcome on a monthly basis even if its less that 5%

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
LOL, heck we have all done that..I imagine that most of us started trading with the starry eyed vision after falling for the "Make thousands of dollars in one hour by trading in forex" line..

Exness Support

Active Trader
Apr 21, 2014
Well its not good to have an unrealistic expectation in forex trading. Your primary goal should be very achievable goal so that u don't get disappointed if you don't make unrealistic returns. However if you make anything extra you shall be glad

Pionex

Trader
May 5, 2014
Ya. I had same. But there is a speech that you will learn from your fault. So I learned form my fault and this time with analysis I run my trade and it is good for me I think. Trade with demo account there was no pressure in my head. But when I came to real then a lot of thinking was surrounding me. So I was confused.

Aby123

Active Trader
Mar 17, 2014
I totally agree and I would be more than happy if in the beginning of my trading I manage to obtain a balance of a "positive zero" :-D But it is true that new forex traders think they'll make money immediately and I think there are two reasons for this: 1. brokers- a lot of them "promise" sky-high profits and are advertising themselves in that direction, and 2. man's nature- I mean let's face it everyone would get excited and would rush to make MORE if he was promised easy money... So it's very important not to fall for this easy-money trick and to stay focused on your goal and do things gradually :D

Agree agree agree and To make it simple the main reason is lack of knowledge.

Last edited:

inggo

Banned
Jan 13, 2012
Philippinese
but i have a feeling that a lot of us even know still has that " oh, some day ill make it big and triple quadruple my money in forex" comon guys we all want to earn big :D

HeavenLeighGill

Active Trader
Aug 5, 2021
I definitely expected (or hoped) to come away with an unrealistic profit in the beginning before adjusting my expectations. Still, it’s nice to go a significant amount of time with no losses even if you aren’t making much profit. All part of the process.

sunar14

Banned
Jan 17, 2021
My goal is to make 10% monthly because I have 3K equity and 300 USD is enough to make off living. However I'm planning to raise my target because I will soon increase my deposit.

vicjon1995

Active Trader
Sep 29, 2020
I don’t know if a 10% return is an unrealistic expectation or not but i think most traders enter the market with hopes of making money the very first month. One has to understand that you will get there with time, until that keep hustling and do not lose your money. Protect it at any cost.

e_abrams

Active Trader
Dec 11, 2020
I used to have such expectations as a newbie. I do not anymore, after multiple pretty bitter lessons.

Dutchy86

Trader
Sep 27, 2020
Doesn’t everyone, o do have one account that is very slow going but has survived better than the others

sharabela

Master Trader
Oct 19, 2016
This is what we do. Having a big expectation may hurt us. Beginners seem to make this mistake a lot. We must take it as a business. At the beginning, we should try our best to survive and save our capital with live trading. As time goes by, profit will come. It may not always be 20%-30% since there are ups and downs in this business like any other businesses.

Fried_Rice

Active Trader
Aug 30, 2021
No doubt, many people do have high unrealistic expectations! Agreed, capital preservation is key, especially whilst learning. 1% per day is not unrealistic when you know what you are doing though